How does the latest local and national data regarding the new nonprofit workforce impact you and your nonprofit... and how should you respond? This report integrates data from 350 local nonprofit professionals with data from several national surveys and additional research in order to identify:
- Five major career trends in the evolving nonprofit workplace.
- Key recommendations for how organizations can intentionally respond to attract and retain skilled staff to build the next generation of nonprofit leaders.
- Key recommendations for how individuals working in this field can meaningfully act to chart the course of their careers and the sector.
The nonprofit sector is undergoing significant transformation. Demand for services continues to rise, yet there is less funding available and increased competition for dollars. Organizations are increasingly expected to track results and be accountable to those outcomes. Technological advancements, growth in social media, and demographic shifts are also altering the way donors give and nonprofits operate.
Given these changes, nonprofits must think and work strategically to enhance their impact and long-term sustainability. This new nonprofit landscape is leading more organizations across the country to consider mergers and other forms of strategic collaboration.
Drawing on the experiences of 12 nonprofit organizations in Central Texas that have completed a merger, this report answers the following key questions:
- How common are mergers?
- Why do nonprofits consider merging?
- What factors support successful mergers?
- What are the challenges?
- What are the results?
A summary of the results from 233 respondents to a Greenlights survey aimed at better understanding characteristics and career paths of executives, how leadership transitions will impact organizations, and informing the further development of strategies to address the pending generational shift in leaders.
This survey aims to better understand characteristics and career paths of executives, how leadership transitions will impact organizations, and to inform the further development of strategies to address the pending generational shift in leaders.
This report from BoardSource discusses findings from a survey conducted for the Next Generation and Governance project, which was designed to stimulate thinking and action among nonprofits regarding the roles they can play to engage Generations X and Y in good governance.
Nonprofits are increasingly driven to collect data and use evaluation to strengthen their programs and demonstrate results. Although there have been a number of national studies regarding nonprofit evaluation practices, little was known about evaluation efforts in the Central Texas community. Greenlights has worked to fill this gap by learning more about local evaluation practices and the successes and challenges organizations face. This report highlights our major findings and includes key recommendations for nonprofit leaders and funders.
All generations are not created equal. Are you optimizing your outreach and fundraising to connect with each group? The Next Generation of American Giving, a new report from Blackbaud, reveals multichannel preferences and charitable habits of Generation X, Generation Y, Baby Boomers, and Matures. These preferences can have a big impact on your fundraising strategy!
Visit https://www.blackbaud.com/nextgen to download the FREE full report. You'll learn about the following insights and more:
- Boomers contribute 43% of all giving. Are you neglecting this lucrative generation in your efforts to woo hot-topic millennials?
- All generations value a mix of online and offline communications and giving channels.
- When it comes to volunteering, Gen Y talks the talk while Matures walk the walk. How do you get your younger supporters out from behind social media to actually take action?
- Crowdfunding and peer-to-peer fundraising are gaining traction, largely with Gen X and Y.
Did you know that Central Texas has more nonprofits per capita than any other major region in the state and in the Southwest US? This research brief, an update to our 2009 study, highlights data on the number and types of nonprofits in Central Texas.
Ultimately, the question may not be "Do we have too many nonprofits?" but rather, "How can nonprofits work to maximize their effectiveness, efficiency and impact?" Central Texas is one of the fastest growing regions in the country and the need for services in our community will only continue to rise. However, creating new nonprofits (and the duplications of infrastructure this entails) may not always be in our community's best interest.
This report, released by Greenlights in 2009, contains information about the 6309* 501(c)(3) public charities in the Austin MSA.
You know how your organization fared in 2013 – but how about the rest of the industry? Blackbaud's Charitable Giving Report reveals year-over-year changes in online and offline giving, by nonprofit size and sub-sector, so you can measure your organization's performance against other nonprofits.
Visit https://www.blackbaud.com/charitablegiving to download the FREE full report. You'll learn about the below key observations and much more:
- Overall charitable giving grew 4.9% in 2013, while online giving grew 13.5%.
- Online giving accounted for 6.4% of all charitable giving in 2013.
- Large organizations had the greatest increase in overall charitable giving, while small nonprofits grew their online giving the most.
- More than one-third of overall charitable giving happens in the last three months of the year, with the highest percentage coming in December.
Search this Site
Upcoming EventsView All Events
Funding and expertise to advance your nonprofit: Get the business expertise and financial capital you need for dramatic growth. Apply to the Accelerator and Philanthropitch by March 31.
Fund Development Town Hall featuring Penelope Burk: Join hundreds of nonprofit leaders on May 2 to discuss the challenges facing fundraisers in Central Texas and get tips from national fund development expert Penelope Burk.
Donor Relationships and Fundraising Strategy: Check out our latest video series on fundraising and hear from some of the savviest nonprofit professionals in town. (login required)
Board service just got easier!: Greenlights' OnBoard connects those looking to join a board with the nonprofits that need new board members, while providing information and resources on board service. Find open board positions.